UPDATE: Google has officially stopped supporting Google Authorship. So there’s no longer any point in implementing what’s explained in this blog post.
Want to get your Google+ Profile’s avatar to show up next to your WordPress blog posts and/or pages in Google’s search results?
The following is an example of what that looks like:
How To Setup Google’s Verified Authorship in WordPress
- Setup a Google+ account for yourself if you haven’t already
- Install Yoast’s WordPress SEO Plugin
- In the plugin, go to Social > Google+
- If you want your avatar to show up for your home page listing, select your WordPress user as Author for homepage and if you have a Google+ page for your website, add the URL for it in the Google Publisher Page like I did for Penguin Initiatives in the following screenshot. Note that your Google Publisher Page URL will be a long series of numbers, unless they gave you a custom alias like they have for Penguin Initiatives.
- Next make sure that you have added your Google+ profile URL for your WordPress user account that you write your blog posts with like in the following screenshot. You can do this in Users > Your Profile. Again note that your Google Profile Page URL will be a long series of numbers, unless they gave you a custom alias like they have for me. Make sure this WordPress user is the author of the posts you want to be considered the author for.
- Finally in your Google+ Profile make sure you add your WordPress website and set it as you being a Contributor to it like in the following screenshot. You can do this by going to the About section of your Google+ Profile and then clicking on the Edit link in the Links section.
- You can verify that everything is setup properly on any specific page by viewing the source, if it is setup properly you’ll see the following lines of HTML in the HEAD of your web page:
<!-- Specifies your Google+ Profile as the Author --> <link href="https://plus.google.com/+AndyForsberg/" rel="author" /> <!-- Specifies your Google+ Page as the Publisher --> <link href="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+Penguininitiatives/" rel="publisher" />
- Now your Google+ Profile’s avatar will be listed next to your blog posts and/or pages that you author with your WordPress user. Simply follow the same process for your other WordPress users if you want to setup Google+ authorship for them as well.