Creating great content is tough to say the least. If you go through the effort of making great content, you want to maximize its value. Value can be created in many ways, but generally the more traffic your content generates, the more valuable it is to you. So here’s a guide on how to easily increase the traffic to your great content. Using the Unique Word Visit Influence Report you can quickly & easily make an educated gamble by tweaking your page titles to increase your organic traffic.
Unique Word Visit Influence Report
- Login to Google Analytics
- Set the date range to the past six months
- Go to Acquisition > Keywords > Organic and set the Primary Dimension to Landing Page
- Click on the most visited blog post of yours in the report
- Set the Primary Dimension to Keyword
- Setup a filter to Exclude Keyword Exactly Matching “(not provided)”
- Set rows to show 5,000
- Export the report as an Excel file
- Copy and paste the Keyword column into Column A of another sheet of your Excel file
- Run the following macro on the Keyword column of your report:
Option Explicit Public Sub Unique_List() Dim my_range As Range Dim my_Sheet As Worksheet Dim All_Strings As Variant Dim x As Variant Dim y() As String Dim lLoop As Long, lLoop2 As Long Dim Temp_Sheet As Worksheet Redim y(1) Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.DisplayAlerts = False Application.Calculation = xlManual Set my_Sheet = ActiveSheet With my_Sheet Set my_range = .Range("A1:A" & .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row) All_Strings = my_range For lLoop = LBound(All_Strings) To UBound(All_Strings) x = Split(All_Strings(lLoop, 1)) For lLoop2 = LBound(x) To UBound(x) Redim Preserve y(UBound(y) + 1) y(UBound(y)) = x(lLoop2) Next lLoop2 Next lLoop Set Temp_Sheet = Worksheets.Add Temp_Sheet.Range("A1:A" & UBound(y) + 1) = Application.WorksheetFunction.Transpose(y) Temp_Sheet.Rows("1:1").Delete Temp_Sheet.Range("A1").Value = "HEADER" Temp_Sheet.Range("A1:A" & UBound(y) + 1).AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, CopyToRange:=Temp_Sheet.Range("B1"), Unique:=True Temp_Sheet.Columns("A").Delete Temp_Sheet.Rows(1).Delete .Columns("B").ClearContents Temp_Sheet.UsedRange.Copy .Range("B1") End With Temp_Sheet.Delete Set Temp_Sheet = Nothing Application.Calculation = xlAutomatic Application.ScreenUpdating = True Application.DisplayAlerts = True End Sub
- This will extract all the unique words from all your keywords and spit them out in column B
- Now copy and paste the Visits column into Column C of your new sheet next to the original Keywords from your exported Google Analytics report. Make sure to remove the total visits from the bottom of this column
- Now in Column D use the following SUMIF formula & drag it down for your entire list of unique words:
- Now copy column D and paste the values, then use the Sort function to Sort By Column D, Sort On Values, Order Largest to Smallest
- Remove all the Stop Words, partial words, misspellings and non-plural words (if appropriate)
This will reveal how many visits each unique word is contributing to your most popular blog post.
How to Use the Report
- Use the Unique Word Visit Influence Report to look for words driving lots of traffic that are currently missing from your blog post’s page title. This report can guide you on modifiers to consider using to further optimize your blog post page title.
- Adjust your post’s page titles accordingly and re-submit the posts via Google’s Webmaster Tools to speed up the page title updates in Google’s index.
- Do this for your ten most popular blog posts and enjoy the additional traffic, merely through a well educated page title adjustment.
I was able to achieve the above results for just one of my more popular blog posts (when comparing the same four days one week to the prior week). Considering it only took about 15 minutes, it was well worth the effort.